Just for fun, let's analyze NB's "10 Reasons to Watch DOOL" point by point, shall we?
10. Ken Corday doesn’t micro-manage NBC’s lone soap anymore — and it shows!
Trading Corday as a micro-manager for Tomlin as a micro-manager is no major accomplishment.
9. If you are missing Passions, show runner Gary Tomlin took the best parts of it, actors like Lindsay Hartley and Eric Martsolf, and transplanted them into Salem minus the intersexuals.
If you cringed and turned off the TV set every time James E. Reilly’s trashfest came on the air, now you get the privilege of watching Reilly “possess” us all from the grave on DAYS with the leftover dredges of his canceled soap taking over our show.
8. From Jay Kenneth Johnson to Galen Gering, DAYS boasts the sexiest men on the boob tube.
Sure…if you’re into underwear models with minimal acting abilities.
7. The unlikely yet inspiring convenient marriage between rivals Kate and Stefano has surprisingly stolen the show! Add in Victor’s one-liners, and you’ve got the making of a Cocoon-inspired love/sex triangle!
Congrats to NB for getting one point right. But I don’t think we’ll see Victor and Kate or Steffy and Kate do the scrump onscreen anytime soon.
6. Although Kristian Alfonso and Peter Reckell have become the matriarch and patriarch of the show by default, their recent marriage woes have made the super-duo surprisingly exciting to watch. I’m itching with anticipation to see how the Carly/Bo/Hope/Justin quadrangle develops.
I’m itching with anticipation to see if any of the current DAYS writers can actually make me care about a love scene on the show anymore.
5. The younger crowd can act! Stop the presses. The teen set on DAYS is the most promising since the Last Blast crew.
They can? I must have been sleeping through one of Taylor Spreitler’s many expressionless scenes with Will/Chad/fill-in-the-blank and missed that.
4. Hands down, the underrated Suzanne Rogers has become the quintessential supporting actress in the business.
It pays to be BFF with Gary Tomlin!!! Way to go, Suzanne!
3. Richard Culliton is proving (like his wife Carolyn, who is editing at One Life) to be one of the finest scriptwriters in the business.
Was he the brainchild who had Justin get over a gun shot wound over the weekend with superhuman powers?
2. Thanks Thorsten Kaye: James Scott is not only drop-dead gorgeous but he’s also as equally as talented as some of the best older actors in the business.
Just don’t pay attention to all that blinking.
1. We’re not in Springfield anymore: Watching the most beautiful, popular, and talented actor in the business, Crystal Chappell, work her magic as Carly Manning on DAYS is a little surreal but it’s also a welcomed treat.
Other than seeing ten million flashbacks of Carly gutting her spouse into a filet, I must have missed the magic. Quite frankly, there hasn’t been enough of all the piecemeal five-second scenes for me to make any kind of remark about Crystal Chappell’s work on the show yet. But I don’t exactly remember a massive cry out of outrage when Carly left Salem in the 90s. Nelson, repeat after me. Carly is not Olivia…Carly is not Olivia…Carly is not Olivia…